Wednesday 14 November 2012

Edible bauble cake!

I am not one for making things which are not meant for consumption, I don't like the waste and I love cake too much to make something I wouldn't eat. But I can't help watching Heston Blumenthal's Fantastical Food series on channel 4 without trying to be a bit inventive.....albeit it's nowhere near his imagination or budget!!

I bought two of Lakeland's individual hemisphere bake tins and I decided to make edible baubles..


Lakeland Individual Hemisphere Cake Pan

However since I only bought two, it had to become one bauble rather than baubles!

I used the same recipe for this as for the princess cake, it's a light cake and quick to mix up.

Preheat the oven to 150c (mine is a fan oven, so I would say 170c for non- fan)

2 eggs
1 dl caster sugar
0.5 dl plain flour
0.5 dl potatoe flour
1 tsp baking powder
red food colouring (optional, I used a combination of Wilton's red red and Christmas red)

150g ready to roll icing

Whisk the eggs and sugar until it goes pale yellow, mix in the flours and baking powder.
Add the colouring to your liking, I aimed for a deep red.
Make sure your moulds are greased and pour in the batter almost half way, it will rise quite a bit.
Bake for 15 minutes but check with a toothpick before removing them from the oven.

Once the half spheres have cooled, cut holes into the centres and add the chosen filling. I used a small handful of blueberries and about 50ml of whipped cream. Before creating the sphere with the halves, I brushed them with warmed up apricot glaze in order for the rolled icing to stick to the cake.
I rolled out the icing really thinlyand wrapped around each half. I then cut around each sphere, making ensure they were fully covered. Pretty much like you would do with a cake. Once covered, I gently put one on top of the other, creating a "bauble" or a ball and then wrapped it up with the ribbon.

I attempted this twice, I wasn't quite happy with the first one. I did not colour the mixture, as you can see on the picture below, when I made it the first time.

My first edible bauble!!

Second attempt is the below and I think it looks adorable. Due to the LARGE amount of food colouring, which went into this cute little cake, I decided that we should not eat it. Much to my boyfriend's disappointment!

I know it's only November and I am in no hurry for Christmas to be here already. I even wish that the Christmas decorations in the shops and towns/ cities would not go up just yet! Allowing us to look forward to Christmas rather than being fed up with it half way through November:0(
But when it comes to baking and cakes, there is no reason why you can't start experimenting already. After all, practise makes perfect :0)

Hope you have a great rest of the week, bring on the weekend I say!

Ciao! x




No comments:

Post a Comment